[Mind on the rocks]

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Design of everyday things (not a book review)

We are surrounded by functional but oftentimes ugly and thoughtless objects. I am not referring to those that elicit emotions and feelings, hence the pack rat in all of us. But the ones that we come to contact with on a daily basis, be it an enhanced experience (my iPOD and my Bose), or merely a means to the goal, such as the jumbo-sized Listerine from which I take great pleasure envisioning the day when it’s empty. Mundane objects with their mandane design, constantly remind us how mundane life can be... Yes I loath the jumbo-sized Listerine bottle.

Living out of a suitcase and two cardboard boxes for three months proved that the quantity of object plays a minor role in the quality of our lives. What I am more interested in is the “spark” in these items, things, objects, stuff that embed ingenious designs that make people’s lives easier, but more importantly more interesting.

Target pill bottle

This is not new anymore but I guess it is new here so I will use it as a starting point. My goal is to find at least one each day.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home