[Mind on the rocks]

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Books: summer reading 走马观花

Haven't had time to reflect much, but let me put them down first and get back to it later. I am 1/5 into The World is Flat and I am truly convinced that the world, in fact, is flat, and it's getting flatter by the day. I would say this book has saved me from the emotional downturn I have been experiencing since last weekend. Always relate personal experience to the grand scheme of things and don't lose perspective. I am so glad to have picked it up although it's been published for almost two years. I felt a surge of restlessness knowing the world is getting flattened and the playing field is being leveled by the minute all over the world from Banglore to Dalian to Colorado Springs to Salt Lake City. I am still here seemingly accomplishing nothing and fret over things that I have no control over...I have to think fast and act fast now.

The World is Flat A brief history of the twenty-first century
by Thomas Friedman

Freakonomics
by by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner


One L : The Turbulent True Story of a First Year at Harvard Law School
by Scott Turow


The Time Traveler's Wife
By Audrey Niffenegger
Hands down the best romance novel I have read this year! I often cringe when someone recommends a romance novel to me, but
Amy's enthusiasm convinced me to pick it up and what a pleasant surprise it is, romantic to the core, not in the least of the corny or cliché plaguing the bookshelves these days.

The Mermaid Chair
by Sue Monk Kidd
I like the style of the prose better than that of the Secret life of bees, but I think the story is a bit too idealized.

In the Company of the Courtesan
By Sarah Dunant

Three Act Tragedy (Hercule Poirot Mysteries)
by Agatha Christie
Peril at the End House (Hercule Poirot Mysteries)
by Agatha Christie

Third Girl (Hercule Poirot Mysteries)
by Agatha Christie
The Body in the Library (Jane Marple Mysteries)
by Agatha Christie

Categories

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home