[Mind on the rocks]

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Wishful thinking: 2006 New Years Resolution

It’s that time of the year again--time to pull out my long overdued new year’s resolution, actually just a slightly modified version of the new year’s resolution from last year and possibly the year before that. Or shall I just call it what it really is, a wish list given that most of the items still have the status “in progress” or “completely failed”.

Anyways, here are the nominees:

1. Keep in touch with friends, old and new.
It sounds like it's straight from the fortune cookies I got from Little Sichuan, but this time, I will actually write and send one card out a day, everyday in fact until my stock runs out completely. I have to pat myself on the shoulder for this one--it's sorta a one-stone-kills-three-birds kind of deal. I rediscovered the unbelievably large quantity of cards I have accumulated over the years, postcards for the various cities and museums, thank-you and get-well cards that I only used one out of the pack of twelve, blank cards that must have been cute at the moment, photo cards from the era when I thought I looked good on paper, and many more What-was-I-thinking varieties. On top of that, I just found out that the stamp machine at the local post office accepts pennies and the nickels. What a wonderful way to get rid of my jars and jars of pennies! And to keep in touch with friends, which is really the goal here.


2. Lay it on thick.
Use lotion whenever I am aware of the fact that I don't have lotion already on my body :) While I was packing for the move, equally amazing collection of lotion of all variety turned up as well. Here I use the “lotion” loosely, basically anything in cream, oil, gel or lotion form that can go on hair, face, eye, neck, hand, body, feet, and everywhere else on one's body. This is important because unlike my cards, lotion/whatever has an expiration date. And I GOT TO stop buying more crap.

3. Hike/Summit Mt. Whitney
Kind of an old one. Last year we were 2.5 miles from the summit when we turned back. This year I will give it another shot and prepare for summit.

Training plans:
  • Get used to hiking in snow in higher altitude. Grasp glissade. Start training in January by skiing and snowshoeing
  • Train to increase stamina in long-distance day hikes. Round up friends to include Shasta and maybe Rainier as training routes. If Rainier is not possible, opt for a couple of Yosemite and Kings Canyon trails
Not going to have Internet for the rest of this year. Hopefully these are it...

2006, here I come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home