[Mind on the rocks]

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Books: Books I wish I had time to read [again]

This post shall serve as a reminder for all the books I wish I had time to read. In some cases, I hastily finished a book but wished I had time to read it again.

[again]
Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond
So far the only book I secretly wish I was forced to spend a semeter reading and write a 20-page paper with at least 10 references. Fascinating book about human evolution and how material wealth got distributed and re-distriubted in the world.

The Broker by John Grisham
What a major step-up from the Brethren and King of Torts! Several times I couldn't help but laugh out loud. The part about Joel Backman learning Italian and trying to blend in the local scene was so funny and dead-on accurate for anyone who was forced to submerge into a foregn culture without too much cushioning. The culinary adventures and various cultural shock experienced by Backman were also captured vividly. I plan on re-reading this prior to my next trip to Italy, along with Angels and Demons.


京华烟云 -- 林语堂
十年前读的书,今天在书店里站着看了一小段还是久别重逢得喜欢。可惜三联只有上册没有下册,继续找,这本书一定要捧在手里看。小的时候喜欢到什么程度呢?那时候迷上了写硬笔,一页一页看来,按衣食住行景,每一段都工工整整得抄下来分类,不知道是羡慕书里的生活还是自恋自己的字。书里的木兰更贴近一个有血有肉的真人,小时候也是真淘气,但是姚老爷教的大方。赵雅芝版的木兰简直就是一个神仙,十全十美。当然看电视就是要看养眼,至今觉得只有她适合这个角色。

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home