[Mind on the rocks]

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Soft spots: College library

It’s a weird feeling to be missing a college library, and it didn't hit me until I was actually in one, after two and half years. I find it amusing that the study desks, nylon-covered chairs, and carpets looked exactly like the ones in my college library. Well they probably all bulk order from the same company. Even the smell of the soap in the Women’s bathroom makes me pause and reminisce. There is a certain level of comfort in hiding in the planks of a wooden desk in a corner of a giant maze of stacks and stacks of books. It’s quiet with a constant humdrum of the air conditioner and a low murmur. An occasional pencil drop or book shuffling punctuates the silence yet further accentuates the stillness of the place.

Tonight I worked on my cover letter. I worked furiously on it for two and a half hours with no break. At times the air conditioner was a bit cold, and I thought to myself to bring a sweater next time. This thought brought chuckles as I thought of Felicity being called the “Sweater Queen” by her friends. Later I felt extremely thirsty but didn’t want to pack up my laptop, walk out of the maze and 3 minutes later walk back in. I made another mental note to bring bottled water tomorrow. Back in college, library was the ideal place to crash in between classes, to get together with friends in the reserved study room and chat the night away, to sit around packed tables and ogle over cute guys, and doing real work fell to the bottom of priorities. Tonight all of a sudden I discovered my amazing ability to concentrate for two and half hours on a piece of writing I am not particularly good at or interested in, but what's more surprising is that the prospect of tomorrow enticed me--how I will make my library experience more comfortable since I am in for the long haul. Or rather, living in the real world puts one into perspective.

As I walked out of the front gate, the balmy autumn air enveloped me as flocks of students walked pass by in baggy sweatshirt, jeans and flipflops, cellphones clutched to the ear. I joined the crowd.