[Mind on the rocks]

Monday, February 26, 2007

O IT HURTS...

I spent the whole day in agony of pain, or more precisely starting 11:15 AM. First I went to my Orthodontist's to get my arch wire taken out. The procedure took 3 minutes. As the brackets were opened one by one, a sense of relief came gradually, tooth by tooth. I was all at once reminded of a bird freed from the cage, the moment when one of my bridesmaids unzipping my tightly-fitting wedding dress with an even tighter built-in corset in 106-degree heat after a long reception, and the first gentle brush of the cold crisp air when I took off my shoes to air out a blossoming blister on an arduous hike. Such is the feeling of being free. I went around my merry ways, even brushed my teeth again and flossed, enjoying the pure efficiency of speed flossing without an annoying threader--I am so looking forward to this in a year.

It was 11:15 when I stepped in my dentist's office for a scheduled cleaning. I hate dentist's visits, no matter how trivial they are. Every time I lie in the chair, in total horror, and mechanically open and close my mouth at the command of a man whose eyes are the only things that identify him from a sea of other coat-wearing figures moving in and out of my field of vision. I often find myself replaying scenes from Agatha Christie's One Two Buckle My Shoe in which a collaborative murder was carried out in the dentist's office. It is awfully easy to kill someone when he's lying tensely on a dentist's chair, defenseless and ready to do anything the dentist tells him to... For me I might as well be done with via this slow painful death of CLEANING. The dentist used some kind of high-powered water drill to wash each tooth and the gum, followed by rigorous scraping with a sharp hook-tip instrument in a fashion more suitable for scraping burned food off a iron cast wok, and then a "polishing" by a scary-sounding blue instrument that left a minty but at same time nauseating after taste. All of these procedures are painful, now even more so thanks to the extra-sensitive teeth I have as a result of wearing braces. It was the anticipation that is most deadly, waiting in the dark not knowing which scraping or chiseling will bring out the piercing pain of a single weak tooth.

With squeaky clean teeth I went to work trying to get a few hours of work done before heading back to the Orthodontist's to, you guess it, get a thicker wire put in. She first commented on my fast-moving teeth and how nicely they have rotated the way she expected and almost proudly showed me a considerably thicker wire. It was indeed so much thicker that she had a lot of trouble closing the brackets and had to resort to some magical ice spray that bends the wire on contact. With each closing of the clasp, I feel my teeth, even the jaw tighten. By the time she got to the last few clasps on my top middle teeth, the feeling had grown to be so uncomfortable it almost felt like the wires are pulling the teeth out from the gum. There goes dinner tonight, and all solid food for at least a week.

O, the price women pay for beauty...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home